Internal IP address obfuscation?

2003-01-22 08:09:15
OK, I have posted this before, but on the wrong list I think. I've also
googled and had private discussions with people on it. I still don't have a
good answer.

I have a sendmail server acting as a gateway. I'm doing the whole blacklist
in the access.db, procmail to spamassassin to internal exchange server, and
exchange server to sendmail to internet setup. All is working great. THe
only problem is the private IP of the exchange server is in the email
header. I DO NOT want it there. I know it breaks the RFC, but that is ok.

There is simply no need at all for the internal IP address to be in the
header. The gateway is working fine. So it possible to write a regex in
sendmail to say something like:

If in header IP address = 172.16.1.X , then change to x.x.x.x?

I know absolutely nothing about writing these types of things yet. I've been
working on procmail, spamassassin, and firewall code. Haven't looked at
sendmail code in any way shape or form yet. So please be gentle :)

If the answer is something silly, like a setting in smarthost, please also
be gentle. I've been reading until my eyes hurt and I still can't find the
solution :)

I'm also cross posting this to the procmail list in the hopes that maybe
someone has a recipe for this.

Thanks,
Chris