Re: update: Re: filter rules using variables

2003-02-15 20:08:11
At 17:22 2003-02-15 -0800, Tyler F. Creelan did say:

> :0:
> * ^From.*(bgates|bad|words)
> bad-spam

I'm no expert, but I recall something about a difference between testing
for ^From and ^From:. Might want to check the archives.

There are differences. OTOH, lots of spam comes from an envelope address which differs from the From: address, and thus, a taboo wordlist that hits both headers isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It could match other headers as well though, but no standard headers spring to mind which start with From (besidea From_ and From:). The regexp could be easily modified to limit matches to those two headers only:

* ^From[: ].*(wordlist)

While I rather doubt that the wordlist would include dates and such, the format of the From_ line should be considered when expanding upon the wordlist.