Re: Spammish?

2003-02-18 16:02:09
At 14:33 2003-02-18 -0500, Don Hammond wrote:
Let's make sure we're on the same page on a couple of things.  Nobody
is saying that anything short of a gradation method is wrong, or even
necessarily less good.  The beauty of all this wonderful software is
anyone can do almost anything they want, limited only by their own
imagination.

Heh, there are only two wrong things to consider here, everything else is just an opinion:

1. Applying flawed logic on behalf of _other_ users, esp. if that means you are tossing their email. Right and wrong is VERY different for someone else.

2. Sending autoreply/bounce messages in response to spam (whether misclassified or not). From: is almost universally forged, and when you misclassify (or it's a forged, but valid to SOMEBODY address), your spam problem becomes someone elses' spam problem, which simply ain't right.

my provider is a spam magnet because it's in the whois databases for my
domain registrations.  All it gets is spam, literally, and I have 1000's

Proactively bounce messages to those addresses with a URL to a webcontact page. Anyone actively needing to contact you (who doesn't know you by a legitimate address) can still do so. A human, that is.