Re: clarification about flags, pipes and delivery

2003-03-07 17:49:52
Jim Correia asked,

| If I am delivering mail using a pipe and dmail, should I always add the
| w flag? (If I don't, how does procmail determine if delivery was
| successful?)

Probably.  Without the `w' or `W' flag, procmail will consider a pipe
successful so long as the command in it read the message text; procmail won't
care whether the command reported success or failure.

| If I use the f flag for a filter, is w implied?

No.

| If not, what are the
| circumstances in which a f(ilter) without w(aiting) is useful?

Few.  If you don't care what output the filter gives when it reads the message
in properly but reports a failure as it exits, you don't need to wait.
Generally, unless the command is something with a lot of strange but safe
non-zero exit codes, you care about failure codes and want procmail to recover
the unfiltered text.