Setting LINEBUF jamming procmail

2003-03-16 10:12:36
I am having the strangest problem with LINEBUF, and I've been wading
through old list archives trying to see if anyone has encountered the same
problem, but to no avail.

First, please note that I am using procmail on a commercial unix shell
account, so I can only access my own account, and can't make any global
changes.

Here's the problem:
Whenever I change the LINEBUF in a script to ANYTHING, including the
default (2048), I stop receiving mail, completely.  If you examine the
procmail log, it will show that it was processing up until the point of
the LINEBUF change, and then cuts off, completely.  I've tried waiting two
hours, and the mail never shows up.

If I comment out the LINEBUF line, my mail starts arriving again. Then,
about five minutes later, I get a flood of all the messages that were
sent while it was jammed up (the procmail.log suggests that they are all
being processed by the .procmailrc from the very beginning, and not the
point where they died before).

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before?  Any clues as to what
might be happening?  I'd really like to use SpamBouncer, and this is
currently preventing me from doing so.  Any workarounds would be greatly
appreciated!

Tess