Re: [procmail] Procmail + spamassassin

2003-03-22 06:48:59
On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 01:34:59PM +0100, Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Dallman Ross skribis:

  :0 W  # 030303 () this is an assignment recipe
  SA_OUT=| spamc -cd spamd

Can someone explain why {} are not needed here?
I expected it to need to look like this:
   :0 W
   { SA_OUT=| spamc -cd spamd }

Let's start with a quote of the whole section in `man procmailrc'.
I think I left off the last sentence in my previous post:

       |      Starts the specified program, possibly in $SHELL if
              any of the characters $SHELLMETAS are spotted.  You
              can optionally prepend this pipe symbol with  vari­
              able=, which will cause stdout of the program to be
              captured in the environment variable (procmail will
              not terminate processing the rcfile at this point).
              If you specify just this pipe symbol,  without  any
              program,  then  procmail will pipe the mail to std­
              out.

So, according to the last sentence above, if you want output to
stdout, you use, on the action line, a lone pipe.  If you wanted
the pipe output to be shunted to stdout, you would not do this:

        :0
        { | }

right?  (Right.)  You would do this:

        :0

Okay, what we're doing is a variation: we're taking the output
from the pipe, then assigning that.  We could also just do
this:

        SA_OUT=`spamc -cd spamd`

on a line all by itself, right?  (Right.)  This is just another
alternative syntax for that.

Note that there is a known memory-leak bug with some compilations
of recent procmail source, including the most current version.
This occurs infrequently and only under some compilations.  For
example, it is a problem on a Digital Alpha 64-bit system I
use; but the same version of procmail compiled on NetBSD 1.5x or
1.6 gives no such problem.

--
dman