Re: procmail generates an empty mbox file...

2003-04-04 13:44:16
David W. Tamkin wrote:
Guillaume Desclaux wrote,

 > I'm very surprised not having any answer or comment to my previous
 > post...

I started a response yesterday (it was only yesterday, Guillaume,
wasn't it?)

Yes it was... Sorry for my anxiety.

but had a headache and figured someone else would be able
to state
it better.

headache... not very pleasant... I hope I'm not the source of your pain
?

I still have that headache, and now after one day you're
threatening us that if we don't answer you now you'll never ask again,

No. Sorry. My english is not good. It was not the meaning of my
sentence. I just want to say that if you didn't answer to this second
email I should deduce that there is no solution to this problem for
now... so I will stop to post this question over and over : it was the
last time for this question : I dont want to bore you. But you could be
sure that I will post other question if I have problem... and that I
think that this mailing list is a great source of information about
procmail ! Once again : I'm really sorry.

so you're not exactly easing the pain, and I'm not going to any
trouble
to make this come out sweet and soft.  In fact, I'm in a particularly
nasty mood

Well.. I suppose I'm a bit liable for that :(

(no, not because your name is French).

I dont worry about it ;-)

I bet you haven't configured procmail at all.  You put

  ORGMAIL=$HOME/some/path/that/ends/in/a/slash/
  DEFAULT=$ORGMAIL

into /etc/procmailrc, didn't you?

Yes I did.

"rc" stands for "run-time code."
That's not configuring.

OK... It's not configuring... What is the proper word in english to
describe this action ?

Before procmail reads /etc/procmailrc or any other rcfile, it does a
sanity check on $ORGMAIL under its compiled-in value.  If you compiled
procmail such that ORGMAIL is /var/mail/$LOGNAME, it will use that
value, and nothing in /etc/procmailrc can affect that.

Loud and clear ! I suspect this when I quickly read the source code

Procmail can be configured only at compilation time.  Philip has
talked about supporting a file named /etc/procmail.cf in a future
version,
where run-time configuration could actually take place, largely
because
of previous posts from others about this very problem with $ORGMAIL,
but it hasn't been implemented yet.  Note that "cf" stands for
"configuration."

OK ! I dont think it's a real problem for me... In fact I just would
know if there is something else to do or if my "run-time code file" was
wrong...

So you did your research and found the answer already; the problem is
that you think it's too much effort.

No no, it's not a big effort to compile it. But the answer I found is
from 2001-05 ! And I've not found recently in the archive about "empty
file" ... So I was wondered about this problem with newer version. And I
was thinking that if I need to use procmail with mbox in the futur I
suppose that this special compiled version will not work properly. Wrong
? And moreover, I should recompile every time a new src.deb package will
be released...

 Procmail is one of the easiest
and most straightforward programs to compile.  It does almost all the
work
of figuring out the correct configuration for the platform and
preparing its own makefiles; it even tailors its man pages
accordingly.  Just edit that file in the source tree, go back up one
directory, and type "make install."

Yes procmail is a piece of work ! I've never said the contrary...

Currently, no.  Until procmail.cf is implemented (if ever), no, you
have to edit the desired value for ORGMAIL into the source before
  compiling. But here's the irony: if a version of procmail is ever
released that supports /etc/procmail.cf, you'll have to recompile in
  order to use it. If you consider recompilation inconvenient, you'll
have to live with
those empty files.

I think i'll have to live with ;-)

/etc/procmailrc is not a config file.  It is a file of instructions to
carry out on individual messages.  That was where you were misled.

OK ! No more mixing up.

Again : sorry for your headache and excuse me for the misunderstanding
about my bad english...

Guillaume