Re: Multiple Procmail Recipes on a Server?

2003-04-12 12:34:24
On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 06:35:58AM -0700, Tom Ainscough wrote:

I have a personal domain hosted on a shared server (with a number of
other domains). There are about 10 email addresses associated with
this domain. I do not have access to the server root--only FTP access
to the root for my domain. The server runs spamassassin.

I would like to set up a procmail recipe to redirect the
spamassassin-flagged spam for all of the mailboxes in my domain
(ainscough.com) into a spam box for review later. The spam box is
spam(_at_)ainscough(_dot_)com(_dot_) Currently, procmail does not seem to
check for
recipes in individual domains hosted on the server. I tried placing a
.procmailrc in my root directory, but nothing happened.

There are some missing bits of information, here.  Where you tried
putting a .procmailrc -- is that where all the domain email
addresses come?  When you say "redirect," you then give an
email address.  Do you want to forward the spam via sendmail
(or its clone)?  (If so, I would have to ask: why?)  Or do
you want simply to drop the spam into a folder called "spam"?

When you say "nothing happened," well, uh, is procmail set up
on the system?  Do you have or need a .forward?  Have you set
up a logfile and turned it on in the .procmailrc?

Can procmail be configured to use individual procmail recipes that
are domain specific without presenting a huge security risk to the
server? (i.e. So that those recipes only affect mail going to their

I think I want to say the answer is yes, but I am having some
trouble understanding exactly what you are trying to do.  Anyway,
fwiw, I have 21 domains all coming into my private address on
a shell account where I don't have root, and it all works fine.

--
dman