Re: Multiple Procmail Recipes on a Server?

2003-04-12 12:57:15
At 06:35 2003-04-12 -0700, Tom Ainscough wrote:

I would like to set up a procmail recipe to redirect the spamassassin-flagged spam for all of the mailboxes in my domain (ainscough.com) into a spam box for review later. The spam box is spam(_at_)ainscough(_dot_)com(_dot_) Currently, procmail does not seem to check for recipes in individual domains hosted on the server. I tried placing a .procmailrc in my root directory, but nothing happened.

"my root directory" is awfully vague. Please read the manpage about where ~/.procmailrc and /etc/procmailrc go.

I don't know how your ISP is setting you up with your own "root". If it is a truely virtualized server (with your own MTA, etc, configuration), then /etc/procmailrc is where you can put global recipes.

If it IS NOT a virtualized server, and you really only have one USER ACCOUNT on the server, to which all your different domains deliver to, then what you're referring to as your root directory is probably what the rest of the *nix world called your HOME directory.

Can procmail be configured to use individual procmail recipes that are domain specific without presenting a huge security risk to the server? (i.e. So that those recipes only affect mail going to their respective domains.)

I don't follow your issue about security risk - if all the domains are being handled by ONE user account already, then all those domains are being handled by ONE user account already. There are many issues with using procmail as an MTA, which it is not, but you'll discover those soon enough on your own. Or, you could check the manpage, where it explicitly mentions some of them.

If the above is not possible, he is also willing to place a recipe in the mail procmail directory,

Uh, what directory is that? You seem to be inventing new terms here, and they're not helping to get your concept across clearly.

if it doesn't interfere with the main .procmailrc file. (The drawback here is that I would have to pester him if I needed to make changes). Can a .procmailrc file be added to the server that will redirect mail only for ONE domain (i.e. *ainscough.com)?

Yea, direct the mail for that domain to a separate USER created to handle the mail for that domain. If you direct ten domains at one user account, there is ONE ~/.procmailrc file there, and while you can manage to do a number of things in there if the conditions are right, there are a number of things you will have issues with. $DEFAULT is the same for all ten domains, because $DEFAULT is user-specific.

If you address multiple adddresses within your domains, and especially if you BCC them, or if there are issues with one domain versus another, you're going to have problems, as procmail is not an MTA. Your MTA believes it has resolved delivery to a user and has passed the mail to the LDA to deposit it into the user mailspool. Procmail will not consistently be provided with the data necessary for it to act sufficiently like an MTA.

If you REALLY want separate .procmailrc configurations, you should ask the sysadm for separate user accounts, and then direct the separate domains at them.