Re: not sure if this is a sendmail or procmail issue

2003-04-18 17:09:44
At 22:33 2003-04-18 +0100, Obantec Support wrote:
for <localuser(_at_)theirdomain(_dot_)com>;

but a False To: with hostname.myserversdomain.com example

What part of the To: is bogus, and how are you making that determination? The username (as per a recent thread here), or that say the "hostname" part is not valid?

If the hostname part isn't valid for mail, but is a valid host, you could reject it at your MTA configuration. For instance, in the MAILERTABLE file (with that option enabled of course), you could set the following mailertable entry:

bogusmailhost.myserversdomain.com      DISCARD:

I use something similar for the domain used as the envelope address on some automated messages my web servers send in response to detecting attacks from various MS worms - I really don't WANT the bounces for anything that can't be delivered, and I don't want automated replies to the security notice either - humans will figure it out easily from the From: address.

i am running sendmail 8.12.8 on RH7.2

You've had nearly 3 weeks to upgrade to 8.12.9.  Get to it.

but not sure how to pass legit localuser(_at_)theirdomain(_dot_)com to their
mailbox

Uh, you want to BOUNCE the spam after the fact?  Bad idea.  Really bad idea.

99% of the time, the spam address will be invalid, and that other 1% (or more, it's growing) will be some poor soul who was targeted by the spammers and will be receiving all the bounces and complaints which are generated.

If you're trying to do something else, I clearer example identifying what part of what actually _varies_ and what is constant, would really help.