Re: not sure if this is a sendmail or procmail issue

2003-04-19 11:06:58
At 14:02 2003-04-19 +0100, Obantec Support did say:

i guess what i am saying is i only want mark(_at_)obantec(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk in
the To: to be
valid and not work with @mail.obantec.co.uk

I'm going to assume you mean (any address)@mail.obantec.co.uk would be invalid.

FTR, you can increase the spammishness of messages which have a freemail return address but NOT a freemail From:

 by relay.obantec.net (8.12.6/8.12.6) with SMTP id h3JBcO2m004829

There's exists the possibility for a spammishness test with the above header - an IP address within parens without a hostname means that the submitting host had no rDNS. Checking forward resolution (manually), I see that this IP address is NOT what mail.obantec.co.uk resolves to.

* ^Received:.*\(\[[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\]\)\>+by\>+\
        relay\.obantec\.net

A run of this recipe on my own mail reveals a couple of sources of legit mail which trips up on it: Microsoft developer newsletters, and a firm which produces security dongles. However, beyond that it's all, spam spam spam spam spam.

I wouldn't flag this as surefire spam, but it certainly has a "spammish" quality. Anyway, nothing to do with your request, but there it is.

From: "8bmotv(_at_)mail(_dot_)obantec(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk"
<8bmotv(_at_)mail(_dot_)obantec(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
To: Insomn <insomnia(_at_)mail(_dot_)obantec(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>

Well, if you simply want to trash messages which are have a recipient identified at mail.obantec.co.uk, then:

:0:
* ^TO(_at_)mail\(_dot_)obantec\(_dot_)co\(_dot_)uk
spamfile.mbx

If you just want the To and Cc headers checked, then:

:0:
* ^(To|Cc):(_dot_)*(_at_)mail\(_dot_)obantec\(_dot_)co\(_dot_)uk
spamfile.mbx

From your earlier post, it sounded as if you wanted some dynamix method to check for valid versus invalid addressees.

The above is basically the method I described at the foot of a post a few days ago - use a mail server hostname which isn't itself the hostname which is used for mail addresses.

I dunno if you care about certain foreign character sets, but a few months ago, I posted a rather extensive character set recipe, with character sets grouped by language classification. You can find it at:

        <http://www.professional.org/procmail/furrin.rc>

[kersnip - TOFU post unnecessary]