I'm a lazy sod

2003-04-19 22:39:51

I know this has been covered on the list before, but archive searches
are coming up too full to be useful.

So ... can someone "in the know" please tell me how to structure a
condition in which I want to score the existence of variable content
in the body of the message?  Is it:

  * 1^1 $ B ?? ${FOO}

or

  * $ 1^1 B ?? ${FOO}

or are they the same?  Neither seems to work for me.  What about
verifying the lack of existence of such variable content:

  * !$ B ?? ${FOO}

or

  * $ ! B ?? ${FOO}

I'm having problems with a number of recipes that do this, and I can't
seem to figure out from documentation whether flags or condition
modifiers come first, or whether the order of the condition modifiers is
significant.  I can debug the recipes myself if I can just get a clear
idea of how these things are *supposed* to work.

Is there a standard practice for what parts of the condition (flags,
modifiers, etc) should be ganged together?  (The man pages include
examples in a number of different and sometimes confusing formats.)

Thanks muchly....

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>