Re: Verio ORGMAIL (Was: checking ORGMAIL)

2003-04-30 11:28:59
Nancy asked,

I've always wondered why the qmail gang likes to invoke procmail with
-m -- doesn't anyone understand that?

I didn't know they did, but here's my first guess.

qmail came from DJB; maildirs came from DJB. Many qmail setups deliver to maildirs.

Procmail until recently couldn't be compiled with ORGMAIL pointing to a qmail-style maildir. Qmail-using sysadmins didn't want procmail trying to create mboxes when mail fell off the end of the rcfile and couldn't be delivered to $DEFAULT either, so in the LDA definition they included procmail's -m option.

Just a guess; until I read your post, Nancy, I had never heard that qmail people were fond of -m.