Re: Best spam scoring system for domain's mail

2003-05-03 12:41:27
At 12:18 2003-05-03 -0600, LuKreme did say:

One thing though, with Spam-assasin 5.0 the original message is untouched. No changes, munging, tagging, &c are done to the original message. All that happens is that e a new message envelope is wrapped around the original text. Open up the attached message and your original email is there, pristine and unsullied.

Not everyone agrees that this is such an excellent solution. Some PC MUAs for instance save attachments as _files_ outside of the mailbox file, and in any event, they require additional manipulation, whereas header tags at are fairly benign changes (esp, IMO, if the X-Spam-whatever has a domain component, so that headers inserted by an upline provider aren't interpreted as the ones inserted locally).

I'll contribute that merely as a suggestion for anyone adding spamish headers to their messages (using procmail) - you should make them site unique, so that forwarded messages don't appear to have already been filtered _according_to_the_rules_of_the_recipient_site_. If anyone wants to debate the merits of SA, it has its own discussion forum I believe.