procmail not delivering to ~/Maildir/

2003-05-27 12:37:02
I am using procmail to deliver to a Maildir (which is my courier imap Inbox) in my home directory. Attempting to deliver directly to the Inbox results in an error; however, delivery to any folder within the Inbox works fine.

Take the following file structure:

Inbox:                  ~/Maildir
Subfolder:              ~/Maildir/.Subfolder
Alias Subfolder:        ~/Maildir/InboxAlias (soft link to ~/Maildir)

This recipe works:

:0
*
/home/tony/Maildir/.Subfolder/

As does:

:0
*
/home/tony/Maildir/.InboxAlias/

But, this one fails:

:0
*
/home/tony/Maildir/

The error I get when attempting to deliver ~/Maildir is:

procmail: Error while writing to "/home/tony/Maildir/tmp/1054063005.24550_0.ts/homer.demark.org" procmail: Couldn't create or rename temp file "/home/tony/Maildir/tmp/1054063005.24550_0.ts/homer.demark.org"

I can't see how it can be a permissions problem since procmail has no issues delivering to ~/Maildir/.InboxAlias, which is simply a soft-link to ~/Maildir. The difference appears to be how procmail handles the tmp file.

So far, the InboxAlias soft link has been a viable workaround (IMAP clients see new mail in Inbox), but I want to figure out why this is happening and fix the issue.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- Tony