Re: Undesirable characters in subject text

2003-05-27 12:58:22
On Tue, 27 May 2003 12:35:44 -0700, PSE-L(_at_)mail(_dot_)professional(_dot_)org
(Professional Software Engineering) wrote:
=> At 11:44 2003-05-27 -0700, procmail(_at_)deliberate(_dot_)net did say:
=> >         A haunting thought is that somehow the asterisks are
=> >legal but inducing some strange activity when I echo the file
=> >record????

=> Have you considered invoking this at a commandline.  Do you know that the
=> shell will automatically expand wildcards?
        <snip>
=> That single apostraphe can be a problem for you as well, so try:

        Ok, so I'm very shell impared, I'm sorry. I'll take it
from your rhetorical question and a quick commandline test (wow)
that my problems are related to using echo and "special"
characters such as wild cards.

        Which leads me to the same question as my first post,
slightly rephrased:

        Could someone please show me a way, hopefully within
procmail, to "cleanup" the text of a subject line, captured in a
variable called SUBJECT, such that I can write it out in a single
line record to my .txt file for later dbase manipulation? In my
case, truncation is preferrable to external program calls.

        My inclination would be, I suppose, to match all expected
ascii characters other than asterisk and single/double quotes in
a single character class [-a-z etc]+ but one of the problems is
that that class can only contain a hypen or a close square
bracket as special cases but not both. It seems to get ugly
trying to embed both together in a more complex set of classes
... <sigh>

        My apologies if I'm being dense.

        TIA,

        - Don