Re: Is this recipe written properly?

2003-05-28 04:56:54
On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 06:01:23AM -0400, Dick Adams wrote:
I do not accept non-plain-text e-mail at my shell account.
And I sure as hell do not want spam.

Hey.  What a concept.  :)

Criticism of the following recipe will be appreciated

:0:
* 1^0 ^Content-Transfer-Encoding:.*base64
* 1^0 ^Content-Type:.*text/html
* 1^0 ^Content-Type:.*multipart/alternative
* 1^0 ^Precedence:.*bulk
* 1^0 ^X-Advertisement:
$Trash

I wonder if you will see this reply.  You are trashing "Precedence: bulk",
which means most any properly formatted mailing list, such as this one.

Who is putting ^X-Advertisement: headers in their mail (I mean, which
spammers)?  I get 1800 spam messages a week, and I don't recall ever
having seen one of those.  Don't know that it's really worth it to test
test every piece of mail for such an unlikely thing.  Or is your
server adding that after running some sort of anti-spam software?

Your second and third conditions can be combined:

        * 1^0  ^Content-Type:.*(text/html|multipart/alternative)

Since you are trashing anything that hits any one, why make all mail
go through every condition test even after you find a hit?  Use the
"infinity" value to short-circuit the multiple tests when you get a
hit:

        :0:
        * 2147483647^0  ^whatever
        * 2147483647^0  ^whatever else