Re: Problems with tonns (!!!) of spam

2003-06-02 08:46:17
Hello Sean,

Am 10:13 2003-05-19 -0700 hat Professional Software Engineering geschrieben:

At 15:35 2003-05-15 +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:

Se the Header, I use my private Mail-Address and the other can do
it too.

Presuming the lists allow for nonsubscriber posts.  It's a pity if
they do,
because that allowance results in spam abuses on mailing lists (which of
course in turn leads to the problems you're having with spam traffic).  A

For this I like mailinglist software whioch allow the 'nomail' command,
which force a user to subscribe but do not receive any messages...

On my private address I subscribe too, but set the mailinglist to
'nomail'.

I don't follow this - are you subscribed to the list with your _own_
address in addition to the address which is used to share the list
with the
other users of your network?

Thats right, I download all Messages with
linux(_dot_)mailinglists(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) and
can answer with my own Address and the same with the other local-users.

The Mailserver from 'procmail' or 'exim-users' is very good...

You can't filter something unseen - 'mailfilter' is downloading the
headers
of the messages in order to examine them.  That means you're taking the
traffic hit of the message headers, which can be several KB per
message.  That would INCLUDE the headers to all the messages which you
eventually download in whole, by another process which ends up
re-downloading those headers along with their bodies.

That is a losing game.

Hmmm, The most Spam has HTML-Attachments and is much larger as
normal Messages. Curently I am thinking on downloading of messages
with a maximumsize of 8 kBytes which I can check local for SPAM and
then downloading the Headers of Messages which are bigger then
8 kBytes and check for SPAM.

But I do not know how to do this. Maybe fetchmail has this function.

Thanke and have a nice day/evening
Michelle

--
Registered Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.