Re: Problems with tonns (!!!) of spam

2003-06-02 12:13:56
At 15:43 2003-05-22 +0200, Michelle Konzack did say:

Thats right, I download all Messages with
linux(_dot_)mailinglists(_at_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_) and
can answer with my own Address and the same with the other local-users.

Provided those mailing lists don't "customize" the list-relayed mail (such as subscriber-specific return paths, such as EZMLM uses), then you could have mutliple _regular_ subscribers at your domain and only ONE SMTP message would be relayed for the lot of them anyway. This procmail list for example would work that way.

A better understanding of the way which email operates might save you a lot of grief - a Rube Goldberg-inspired email system with limitations on how your users subscribe to lists is likely to be more trouble than it is worth in the long run.

Hmmm, The most Spam has HTML-Attachments and is much larger as
normal Messages. Curently I am thinking on downloading of messages
with a maximumsize of 8 kBytes which I can check local for SPAM and
then downloading the Headers of Messages which are bigger then
8 kBytes and check for SPAM.

But I do not know how to do this. Maybe fetchmail has this function.

We're simply not connecting on this, because I keep saying what you need to do is perform your procmail filtering ON THE HOST WHERE YOUR MAIL IS ORIGINALLY ARRIVING (i.e. the host where arriving mail is stored when you're NOT ONLINE), which would resolve nearly all your troubles.

Considering what you're reporting your connection costs are, I'd think that if your current ISP can't accomodate this, it'd be in your favour to investigate other ISPs that can.

The week-plus turnaround on your replies makes is difficult for me to keep the specifics of your config in my head. I wish you luck in finding a solution to your problem, but _procmail_ actually enters the picture, this this isn't the appropriate place to seek your solution - it's not a fetchmail support list, nor a 'mailfilter' support list - it's a list for procmail, and I'm telling you, if you want to reduce the amount of cruft coming over your expensive cell connection, you need to run procmail on a host that can weed things out BEFORE the data is pumped over the cell connection.