Re: Bounce message for filtered mail via procmail?

2003-06-28 08:15:29
At 08:57 2003-06-28 -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
TopPost:

You included the whole previous message too.  Ick.

What if the email address is "valid" but "forged" by a spammer, etc., a
fairly common practice.  Then you are bouncing to the innocent.

Let me add that the dumb A/V programs which send autoreplies for supposed virus infected messages are rather annoying because they're sending messages as a result of the newer crop of email viruses which forge senders, and they usually contain absolutely NO header information from the supposed infected message, so when you fire off a message back at the organization about their problem, you've got nothing to point at to tell them that their infection report is completely misdirected.

One would think that any A/V program worth its salt would know which viruses used forgery and which did not, so they could avoid this altogether.

As for autoreplies for attachments - you could _strip_ the attachments, or you could pull them out and put them in a binaries directory, forwarding along only the text portion of the message. You could quarantine the whole message (I'd personally go for dumping it into an SQL db), forwarding along the headers and the names of attachments, along with a clickable weblink that would send the user (or perhaps in the current case, just yourself) to a webpage which would extract the message from the quarantine db and process it back through procmail for delivery to the original user, but without the quarantine stage.

Do I have code for this? No - I haven't needed to do it myself, and don't imagine that I'll be tackling it soon. Also, because the best way to do it is put the message into an SQL db, and have a web interface to retrieve them, the support code for it would have some specific system requirements, making a generic solution difficult to achieve.