Re: Bounce message for filtered mail via procmail?

2003-06-28 18:38:40

As for autoreplies for attachments - you could _strip_ the attachments, or you could pull them out and put them in a binaries directory, forwarding along only the text portion of the message.

Actually, that's kinda what I had in mind. I don't want to bounce the actual message I received. I just want to send back a generic email that would look something like this:

Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:05:30 -0400
From: mylocaladdy(_at_)myserver(_dot_)com (the address that received the bad or illegal/infected attachment) To: bouncee(_at_)isp(_dot_)com (person who's address appears as the sendee of said bad/illegal/infected attachment)
Subject: Quarentined File Alert

You or someone at this address sent me an email with an attachment on it with the following name: somefile.exe

This is to notify you that the message and attachment have been quarantined for further evaluation because it contained an illegal file extension. If this was in error, please contact me. blah, blah, blah, etc.

Sincerely,
Sysadmin (me)

You could quarantine the whole message (I'd personally go for dumping it into an SQL db), forwarding along the headers and the names of attachments, along with a clickable weblink that would send the user (or perhaps in the current case, just yourself) to a webpage which would extract the message from the quarantine db and process it back through procmail for delivery to the original user, but without the quarantine stage.

Wow, neat idea. I've got other ways to view these files for now so no need to do this just yet, but I like the idea. :)

Do I have code for this? No - I haven't needed to do it myself, and don't imagine that I'll be tackling it soon.

Oh, that's totally cool. I just needed a pointer where to start with this. I figured out my last couple of problems fairly quickly after someone pointed me in the right direction, so I was just looking for another nudge with this question. :)

Also, because the best way to do it is put the message into an SQL db, and have a web interface to retrieve them, the support code for it would have some specific system requirements, making a generic solution difficult to achieve.

Yeah, all I'm really looking for is just a generic reply to all filtered attachments. I don't think "bounce message" is totally appropriate in this case, but it would work something very similar to that. Just a generic auto-reply back to the sender for each email filtered.