Re: Need help with a recipe please.

2003-07-05 11:02:26
Steven Orr asked,

I want people on A to not be allowed to send a single message to both A
and B. I someone sends to both A and B it should hit procmail and
automagically be send only to B.

After reading Sean's reply (and Kreemy's), I still have this to say: how do you prevent a member of A who is also on B from posting separate dispatches of the same text [or a slightly altered text] to A and to B?

After all, you said that members of A are "allowed" -- not required, just permitted -- to subscribe to B. Therefore, there might be people on A who have declined to join B, and a post to both A and B will reach people who will not see a post to B alone. So the logic behind your policy escapes me. What if a member of A and B really wants everyone on A, even those who don't belong to B, to see the post? If you find a way to get a single dispatch to both posting addresses to be distributed only to B, the person will just send a separate copy to A. If you take checksums of the body and keep a cache of those (and that will help only if the copy to B arrives first, or if you put a delay on all posts to A), a determined poster can easily make a small change in the text and send a negligibly or even imperceptibly different version that produces a new checksum.

It is vanity, an attempt to herd the wind.