Re: Need help with a recipe please.

2003-07-05 12:19:09
At 12:57 2003-07-05 -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

After reading Sean's reply (and Kreemy's), I still have this to say: how do you prevent a member of A who is also on B from posting separate dispatches of the same text [or a slightly altered text] to A and to B?

I'm keenly aware of that particular issue, though as the question was phrased "a single message", I figured the query was directed at a singular post with multiple list recipients.

After all, you said that members of A are "allowed" -- not required, just permitted -- to subscribe to B. Therefore, there might be people on A who have declined to join B, and a post to both A and B will reach people who

The one parallel that I can see is that perhaps the two lists are like a support list and a dev list, and developers may occasionally have a support list message forwarded into their list because it relates to a development issue (such as a bug), and therefore may need to be able to post to the support list in response, while support users are not permitted to post to the dev list. Of course, in that particular example, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to post to the dev list as well, unless the support list messages are automatically forwarded into the dev list (which would be rather painful for the developers).

Lacking a better defined relationship between this magical "A" and "B" list, the above would probably suffice as a standard explanation as to their operation. If people weren't so deliberatley vague, it'd be a LOT easier to help them sometimes.

In majordomo terminology, the B list would have a post-allow of the A and B list subscribers, while the A list would only have a post-allow of the A list subscribers.

[snip]

Pretty much all the pitfalls of a dual-list setup.

As for a common source of slight differences in separate posts with the same basic body content: random siglines will screw you every time. In addition to the standard unix mailer .sigline setup, this may include advert siglines added by some mailers (or freemail services), as well as (if your lists allows for attachment/HTML content), A/V scanning signatures with unique "I scanned this message" keys. Heck, just the MIME multipart separators would be unique from one message to the next.

It is vanity, an attempt to herd the wind.

As I posted, it is much easier to spot the crossposted (as a single message to multiple recupients) messages and bounce them altogether, advising the sender to NOT crosspost. It is my experience on other lists that most people who crosspost are too fsking lazy to bother with posting messages separatley, and generally that's the _responsible_ thing to do when a crosspost action is legitimately warranted, since it avoids crosspost replies (wherin the respondant hits [REPLY ALL] but isn't themselves subscribed to all the lists they're replying to).

For all we know, this crosspost followup is the reason for the desire to limit the posting addresses -- say because the user asking for this functionality is dealing with "nonmember submission" bounces from all the messages which bounce to the A list. If so, perhaps the solution is to automate the nonmember submission bounces. I do this on majordomo (with a procmail recipe), bouncing back text indicating that their message bounces because they are not subscribed to the list they tried to post to, and outlining the various reasons it might have bounced - replying to a crosspost; simply didn't complete the subscription process (and provide a link to a subscription page), posting from an address which receives forwarded email, or posting from an address other than the one you're subscribed to the list with (at work instead of home perhaps), etc.

Thus, I don't have to waste a single second on nonmember submission bounces - if I were so inclined, I could automatically trash the advisory copies of those which I recieve.

Sometimes, it helps to understand the underlying reason for needing a recipe in the first place.