Re: Online Procmail Workshop

2003-07-07 13:29:01
At 10:07 2003-07-07 -0700, Tyler Creelan did say:
I put together an online mail filtering workshop for students here
and was hoping get some expert feedback:
http://cs.oregonstate.edu/~creelan/procmail.html

UHM, I note that you have a file in there:

        procmail-kit/examples/spewhost.txt

which is a complete saved email message (headers and all) of one of my posts to this list. Since that material is POSTED online at my website (the URLs are right within that message), it would be preferrable to link it there (and perhaps, link to the thread in the list archives, to catch any followup to the post which may have been made).

While I'm flattered that some of my contributions made their way into your reference, the fact that one is included as a raw email message is a bit unnerving, as is that the only reason I know the material is there is because I bothered to follow the link posted to the world, to check out what was offered there.

There are a few other messages - listmatch.rc for instance, which are also list posts (with SOME headers), and obviously not rcfiles as-is, although named as an .rc, which you should consider changing accordingly.

procdiag.sh should _NOT_ be included in the archive, as it is occasionally updated, and should be referenced by URL instead. Likewise, extra/acronyms.txt and extra/dot-forward.txt represent material from my site.

I'm NOT accusing you of theft - all the material IS attributed, but by extracting these resources from their respective sites you deprive their respective authors of the ability to edit their original material. It also often sets us up to fielding questions when someone sees what is (potentially) and out of date copy of the material located somewhere the author didn't put it (a problem compounded by the fact that the authors may not even have been made aware of the republication of their material in the first place). If it's an online workshop, there should certainly be no significant technical issues with providing links to original source material where it is published.