dead horse -- procmail: No permission to execute

2003-09-05 09:01:43
Im going to beat a dead horse here.

When I first jumped unto this list, I emailed that procmail would not
execute 'date'.  I tried serveral different things over time to see if I
could execute 'date'

* One suggestion was that I search my sendmail for smrsh:  Sendmail isnt
  using it, only /bin/sh
  I even went so far as to 'cp' /bin/date to the smrsh folder.  No dice.

* My 'man execve'  (as Sean suggested in a previous post) does not have a
  EPERM error.  Searching for [Pr]ermission gave me:

  EACCES
         Search permission is denied for a directory listed  in
         the  new  process  file's path prefix; the new process
         file is not an ordinary file; or the new process  file
         mode denies execute permission.

  ENOEXEC
         The new process image file has the appropriate  access
         permission but is not in the proper format.

The receipe in question:

:0:
* ^Subject:.Test
Tests-`date +%y%b%d`

The result, a file called  Tests-   w/o a date appeneded to the end, and
an error in log    procmail: No permission to execute "date"

head -30 .procmailrc
VERBOSE=OFF
#LOGFILE=/export/home/sbirl/.procmail-`date +%y%b%d`.log
LOGFILE=/export/home/sbirl/.procmail.log
LOGABSTRACT=ALL
MAILDIR=/export/home/sbirl/mail/
COMSAT=NO
SUSPEND=30
LOG="

LOGNAME          --> $LOGNAME
HOME             --> $HOME
SHELL            --> $SHELL
PATH             --> $PATH
SHELLMETAS       --> $SHELLMETAS
SHELLFLAGS       --> $SHELLFLAGS
ORGMAIL          --> $ORGMAIL
MAILDIR          --> $MAILDIR
DEFAULT          --> $DEFAULT
SENDMAIL         --> $SENDMAIL
SENDMAILFLAGS    --> $SENDMAILFLAGS
HOST             --> $HOST
COMSAT           --> $COMSAT
PROCMAIL_VERSION --> $PROCMAIL_VERSION
"

SHELL=/bin/sh
LOG="SHELL      --> $SHELL

"

So at the beginning of every write to .procmail.log file
LOGNAME          --> sbirl
HOME             --> /export/home/sbirl
SHELL            --> /sbin/tcsh
PATH             -->
/export/home/sbirl/bin:/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X/bin
SHELLMETAS       --> &|<>~;?*[
SHELLFLAGS       --> -c
ORGMAIL          --> /var/mail/sbirl
MAILDIR          --> /export/home/sbirl/mail/
DEFAULT          --> /var/mail/sbirl
SENDMAIL         --> /usr/lib/sendmail
SENDMAILFLAGS    --> -oi
HOST             --> concept
COMSAT           --> no
PROCMAIL_VERSION --> 3.22
SHELL            --> /bin/sh

% which date
/bin/date

% ls -lFd /bin/date
-r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin         8932 Apr  6  2002 /bin/date*

% ls -ldF /bin
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           9 Sep  9  2002 /bin -> ./usr/bin/

% ls -ldF /usr
drwxr-xr-x  37 root     sys         1024 Aug 14 09:19 /usr/

% ls -ldF /usr/bin
drwxr-xr-x   4 root     bin         9728 Aug  5 13:11 /usr/bin/

% id -a `whoami`
uid=100(sbirl) gid=14(sysadmin) groups=14(sysadmin)

% /sbin/tcsh
% /bin/date
Thu Sep  4 09:59:42 EDT 2003

% /usr/bin/date
Thu Sep  4 09:59:50 EDT 2003

% /bin/sh
$ /bin/date
Thu Sep  4 10:00:16 EDT 2003

$ /usr/bin/date
Thu Sep  4 10:00:25 EDT 2003

As you can see, I can execute 'date' in tcsh and sh, so I cannot
comprehend why procmail will not.

In case it matters:  SunOS concept 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-5_10
                     Sendmail 8.12.9

I'll go back to sitting in confusion now, figuring out what the hell Ive
overlooked.

TIA
-- Birl