Re: dead horse -- procmail: No permission to execute

2003-09-08 08:46:00
On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 11:54:40AM -0400, Birl wrote:

When I first jumped unto this list, I emailed that procmail would not
execute 'date'.  I tried serveral different things over time to see if I
could execute 'date'

Could be your shell startup scripts getting in the way.

Do you have lines at the top of all your startup
scripts that terminate execution of the script if
the shell is not interactive?

Try moving all your shell startup scripts out of the way
and trying your filter again.

What I often see is that the `date` syntax actually ran
/bin/date, but before that, all kinds of echo's (*) and stty's were
run in the user's startup scripts which put out crud before the
`date` was run.  So you get back multiple lines of stuff including
the result of `date` at the end, but procmail only saw the first
line of it.
(*) A common echo is something that changes the title bar
    in a command window, for example.

Also, there are lots of ways to figure out if date is actually
being run.  For instance, you can replace date with your own
program that echo's out a fixed string, and also echo's something
to a log file to prove that it was run.

It could also be that procmail is getting confused about how you
are calling date, so perhaps you could put all the logic in
a bourne shell script for creating the file with the date
as part of its name, and just call that script normally from
procmail.

--
Chris Sherman
sherman(_at_)unx(_dot_)sas(_dot_)com, x16217