Re: dead horse -- procmail: No permission to execute

2003-09-05 19:11:00
As it was written on Sep 5, thus Daniel Liston typed

Dan:  Return-Path: <procmail-bounces(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE>
Dan:  Sender: procmail-bounces(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Dan:  Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 14:38:33 -0500
Dan:  From: Daniel Liston <dliston(_at_)sonny(_dot_)org>
Dan:  To: procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Dan:  Subject: Re: dead horse -- procmail: No permission to execute
Dan:
Dan:
Dan:
Dan:  > Im going to beat a dead horse here.
Dan:  >
Dan:  > When I first jumped unto this list, I emailed that procmail would not
Dan:  > execute 'date'.  I tried serveral different things over time to see if I
Dan:  > could execute 'date'
Dan:  >
Dan:  > The receipe in question:
Dan:  >
Dan:  > :0:
Dan:  > * ^Subject:.Test
Dan:  > Tests-`date +%y%b%d`
Dan:  >
Dan:  >
Dan:  Have you considered the possibility of characters getting traslated
Dan:  before your shell is seeing them?  In my /etc/procmailrc, I have a
Dan:  DATE="/bin/date"
Dan:  variable set, which is used by spambouncer successfully.
Dan:  You might want to consider changing your delivery line to this;
Dan:
Dan:  Tests-`date '+%y%b%d'`

I dont think that will help my situation.
`date` is just one of many commands I cannot execute from procmail
I could not execute `sed` either.

But shouldnt your example read
    Tests-`$DATE '+%y%b%d'`
??

Im wondering if I should bring down my box into single-user, remove the
nosuid, and bring it back into multi.  It's my personal play toy for work
and Im the only person that relys on it ....

But then it gets me thinkin' ... shouldnt procmail be dropping root
privleges once it gets to my rc file?  If the privleges are not dropped, I
think the nosuid would explain why I cannot execute any external commands.

If the privleges are dropped, I still cannot understand why I can execute
commands from shell, but not within procmail.