Re: Passing variables

2003-09-13 11:35:42
At 11:32 2003-09-13 -0600, LuKreme wrote:
However, when I try to use the "$UNAME" or $SUBJECT in a .procmailrc, the variables are unassigned.

Odd, because if you define something in /etc/procmailrc, it'll remain defined (and the /etc/procmailrc is initially populated with the variables as they would be for the users own procmailrc - most notably, that includes SHELL, which is sometimes a liability. David has already pointed out that PATH is the one exception).

I go so far as to explicitly UNDEFINE variables which the /etc/procmailrc defines, so that user procmailrcs have a predictable (to the user) environment.

How are you trying to make use of the variables? Are you sure the global code is actually being utilized? Where is it logging to?