Re: Passing variables (new term for it?)

2003-09-13 12:09:52
On 13 Sep, David W. Tamkin wrote:
| LuKreme wrote:
|
| > I do a lot of checking in /etc/procmailrc and as part of the checking
| > I use the following:
|
| [code from /etc/procmailrc that assigns and logs some variables]
|
| > However, when I try to use the "$UNAME" or $SUBJECT in a .procmailrc,
| > the variables are unassigned.  Is there 1) something I am doing wrong
| > 2) some way for those variables to persist to the user's own
| > .procmailrc?
|
| Maybe it's a bug.  The value of PATH is supposed to change when procmail
| moves from /etc/procmailrc to ~/.procmailrc, but no other variables
| should be affected.
|
| Is the LOG assignment happening?  If not, maybe /etc/procmailrc is
| getting skipped entirely because there's a named rcfile on procmail's
| command line.

Or maybe the messages aren't dropping off the bottom of /etc/procmailrc
to users' private .procmailrc, but are forwarded from /etc/procmailrc in
such a way that /etc/procmailrc is bypassed on the "resent" message
(e.g. procmail invoked with a named rcfile, as David suggests, from an
alias).

I do much the same thing that LuKreme is trying to do.  In fact,
messages may hit any of 40 odd rcfiles, beginning with /etc/procmailrc,
before getting to users' rcfiles.  Variables set in any of those files
absolutely are persistent through the last user rcfile, unless they're
explicitly unset for some reason along the way.  I depend extensively on
procmail's variables being exported, even accessing them in perl
one-liners via %ENV, and including using variables in personal rcfiles
that were set in "system" rcfiles, and am sure this works as advertised.

LuKreme, are you sure you're not unsetting them somewhere?  Or somehow
resetting the environment in user rcfiles?

--
Email address in From: header is valid  * but only for a couple of days *
This is my reluctant response to spammers' unrelenting address harvesting