Locking problem using procmail as LDA

2003-09-30 11:49:37
Hello!  I'm trying to use procmail 3.21 as the local delivery agent under
sendmail 8.9.3 (AIX 4.3.0.0).  procmail's having difficulty locking
mailboxes (/var/spool/mail/whatever.lock) and resorts to kernel locking.

/var/spool/mail is owned by bin:mail and has permissions rwxrwxr-x

/usr/local/bin/procmail is owned by root:mail and has permissions
r-sr-sr-x

/usr/local/bin/lockfile is owned by root:mail and has permissions
rwxr-sr-x

AIX's default LDA /bin/bellmail is owned by root:mail and has permissions
r-sr-sr-x

If I change the ownership of /usr/local/bin/procmail to bin:mail (the
same as /var/spool/mail), the locking succeeds, but procmail is unable to
create the mailbox file (/var/spool/mail/whatever) if it doesn't exist
already.

procmail works flawlessly as an LDA under Red Hat 8.0...the one
difference being the ownership of /var/spool/mail (it's root:mail).  I
hesitate to change the ownership of /var/spool/mail under AIX, fearing
breaking something else (POP3, IMAP, etc.)  Also, if procmail has the
same ownership and permissions as bellmail, it should be able to lock
/var/spool/mail/whatever as well as bellmail does, no?

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter!

-Myles