Re: bounce

2003-09-30 12:50:22
At 13:18 2003-09-30 -0600, Eric wrote:
What do I need to do to stop bouncing... can I drop mail to dev/null when it
is bouncing?  I am not sure but I am getting tons of dns lookups to
mail.anonymoushosting.com or something like that...?

Could you please be more vague?

Generally, if you have a specific bounce, the best way to stop them is to quit addressing messages to the recipient identified by the bounce. I mean, why continue to send messages to them if you know they're bouncing?

Bounces _really_ should be reviewed by a human, or a good processor (if say, for a mailing list). Simply sending them to trash is a bad idea, since you're ignoring the PROBLEM that is being reported.

If you have a web gateway or other mechanism which shouldn't received the bounces for messages which it sends, you might consider changing the envelope sender when sending messages (this is a function of how you send messages, not of procmail).

If you want to discard specific bounce messages (say because you were joe-jobbed, i.e. a spammer forged your sender information for their spam), then you should write a procmail recipe to home in on whatever characteristics you determine are consistent with those bounces and file them accordingly. Simply dumping them may not be the appropriate route in any event - they're evidence of a malicious criminal act, and may be utilized if and when you determine who the responsible party is and file suit.