Re: Trouble with a recipe

2003-10-08 18:00:08
Thus spake Don Hammond (throwaway-s4Ac3vAjg0J0(_at_)tradersdata(_dot_)com)
[08/10/03 20:38]:
Unless there's something else in the procmail setup or logs that you
haven't shared, this doesn't look at all like a procmail issue.  The
logs entries above are generated by postfix, as I'm sure you know,
indicating that postfix, not procmail, is taking exception to the
forwarded messages.

I've been working with Jason off-list through a bunch of things.  We've
cleaned up his recipes, but what it amounts to is that whenever we send mail
/to/ spamcop(_at_)localhost (via '!spamcop'), the mail system seems to throw an
error about a mail loop, but delivers the bounce /to/ spamcops folder.

Strange.

The only odd thing I can see is that his $mailbox_command is 'procmail -m
/etc/procmailrc'.  I would have thought that using procmail as your LDA
would require -d, not -m, but changing it causes other problems (that we're
currently looking into).

That said, and assuming the log entries above do correspond to messages
forwarded by the procmail recipe, one thought that comes to mind is
mis-configured virtual domains and/or mx records.  I have no experience
with postfix, and you haven't explained the relationship between
courtesymortgage.com and acme.com, so it's only a wild guess.  If the

We've tried sending to 'spamcop' and 'spamcop(_at_)localhost'.  What we haven't
tried is 'spamcop(_at_)$mydomain', but it appears that's what 'spamcop' is
expanded into.

Lastly, any time you forward messages from procmail they should have
loop detection/prevention.  The canonical method is to add and
subsequently check for a unique X-Loop: header, short-circuiting
forwarding if it exists since that would indicate a loop.  That's not
your problem here, but it's something that should definitely be added
once this problem is solved, or else you risk creating the next problem.

We've stuck some very basic stuff in there, to prevent some loops.  Not
using an X-Loop: header, I was going to get the basic problem licked before
moving on to that.