Re: Non-English character sets

2003-12-03 13:15:23
At 02:46 PM 12.3.2003 -0500, Dave Stern - Former Rocket Scientist wrote:
On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, John Oliver wrote:

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:52:58PM -0800, Professional Software
Engineering wrote:
At 17:41 2003-12-02 -0800, John Oliver wrote:
I'm looking for a procmail rule which will catch all mail that is not in
an English character set.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Follow the .sig

  Procmail disclaimer:
<http://www.professional.org/procmail/disclaimer.html>
  Please DO NOT carbon me on list replies.  I'll get my copy from the
list.

isn't a "How to block non-English character sets" in the man pages.  I
could probably bumble around and figure out a recipe if I knew what I
was looking for in the mail.

I suppose I could download everything and start grepping around.  I was
kinda hoping, though, that someone could just point me to a URL, or
point me to a search facility I'm not seeing.  I'm just looking for a
nudge in the right direction.

One (possibly extreme) solution is to install spamassassin and have procmail
kick that off. You could then  tailor either your user_prefs or the system
local.cf to include

ok_locales  en

which will do what you want

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-  generated by /dev/dave
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
David Stern                                            University of
Maryland
               Institute for Advanced Computer Studies

John & Dave: I've been following this with the same need -- that is to
catch those that appear to be in a Russian character set. One of my own
main websites publishes a Tech magazine in 186 countries and I had thought
of the language .cf but we have a bunch of readers in Russia and recive
emails from them. In that case, the content is in an English character set
as opposed to the spammer that uses absolute Russian. Thus, the
"language.cf" is too broad and need something more specific.

No doubt others receive these and perhaps could suggest a recipe....???

But, please no "follow the .sig" again....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

Sage American