Re: Non-English character sets

2003-12-04 03:35:23
On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:22:58AM -0800, John Oliver wrote:

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 06:52:58PM -0800, Professional Software
Engineering wrote:

Follow the .sig

I'm assuming you're telling me to RTFM... :-)  However, I see no utility
to search the list archives.  Google isn't helping.  There certainly

I posted two days ago about a search result from there, so reading here for
a couple of days would also have enlightened.

isn't a "How to block non-English character sets" in the man pages.  I
could probably bumble around and figure out a recipe if I knew what I
was looking for in the mail.

We did discuss that very thing numerous times in the past, which is,
I'm sure, why Sean implied that a quick search would be fruitful.

I suppose I could download everything and start grepping around.  I was
kinda hoping, though, that someone could just point me to a URL, or
point me to a search facility I'm not seeing.  I'm just looking for a
nudge in the right direction.

I'm looking at the searchable archive now.  (Its existence is detailed
on Sean's FAQ pages, which is in the link to his pages he referred you
to.)  In October 2003, buried in a message of Sean's, is this:

ss> There have been "hibit" filters posted to this list in the
ss> past.  I've also composed an extensive language/charset filter,
ss> wherein you define what languages you _don't_ correspond in, and
ss> messages arriving in those encodings are flagged.

That was from here:
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/cgi-bin/w3glimpse2html/procmail/2003-10/msg00239.html?93#mfs

Sean's extensive charset filter is, I'm sure, what he was really hoping
you'd find at his pages.

The "hibit" filters he mentions in passing are what I use and recommend.
Now that that word was uncovered by my search that revealed Sean's
above paragraph, I can use "hibit" in my search pattern.

Here is what "hibit" found from me last February:
http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/cgi-bin/w3glimpse2html/procmail/2003-02/msg00468.html?30#mfs

That's the article I'd recommend.  Unstated therein is that $GO
is defined as

  GO = 9876543210

earlier on.

--