Re: generic questions

2003-12-08 15:25:59
On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 02:58:15PM -0600, Chuck Campbell wrote:
1)My "ham" emails are in hundreds of separate mbox files.  Can they simply be
"catted" together, or do I need to run procmail with a single recipe to file
them in a new location?

Yes, catting multiple mbox format files togther will be sufficent.

2)Can procmail help me with weeding out duplicates in this file?  I use it for
removing duplicates in my normal rc file, but my historical mai have all been
through this procmail recipe once before.  I normally use this:

  :0 Wh: msgid.lock
  | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

Will running my existing mbox folders through this again result in either
 a)confusion for my regular mail?
   or
 b)skipping any messages seen previously?

Yes, using the same msgid.cache will cause some of the mail to be
rejected if you were to use a recpie to combine the files.  But as
stated in 1 that won't be directly necessary.  And I say some because
the '-D 8192' is a size limiter for the cache, so on'y so many of you
mails will still be in the cache.

3)Is there any mechanism in procmail for helping me keep only the most recent
(n*1000) emails in this file?

I would think the easist way to do something like this would be to
look into the maildir format (which procmail supports) and either
setting up rules that will trigger the mail count check every time
(intensive), or setting up some cron scripts to execute the pruning
action on a daily/weekly basis.

--
Till Later, Jake <karrde+procmail(_at_)viluppo(_dot_)net>