Re: generic questions

2003-12-08 20:22:08
On 08 Dec 2003, at 13:58, Chuck Campbell wrote:
1)My "ham" emails are in hundreds of separate mbox files. Can they simply be
"catted" together,

Yes.  then a simple

% formail -s procmail < BIGFILEOFEMAILS &

 or do I need to run procmail with a single recipe to file
them in a new location?

I would segregate my spam outside of my Mail folder and run sa-learn --ham over my entire spool.

2)Can procmail help me with weeding out duplicates in this file?

There is no need to weed out dupes. sa-learn will not learn the same message twice.

  I use it for
removing duplicates in my normal rc file, but my historical mai have all been
through this procmail recipe once before.  I normally use this:

  :0 Wh: msgid.lock
  | formail -D 8192 msgid.cache

Will running my existing mbox folders through this again result in either
 a)confusion for my regular mail?
   or
 b)skipping any messages seen previously?

That cache size is not large enough for a lot of mail. If you are processing a LOT (thousands of messages) and you want to discard the dupes, you will need a MUCH larger msgid.cache (several orders of magnitude larger).

Should I just change the msgid.cache to say msgid2.cache to avoid this issue?

Certainly, as any recent messages will not get processed otherwise.

3)Is there any mechanism in procmail for helping me keep only the most recent
(n*1000) emails in this file?

Not in procmail.

There is a pretty decent perl script that will handle maildirs of spam and ham. You can set it to run daily and it automatically learns the messages you put in "spam" and "ham" maildirs. Check the SA list for a link, or email me directly and I'll hunt it up.

--
It was intended that when Newspeak had been adopted once and for all and Oldspeak forgotten, a heretical thought...should be literally unthinkable, at least so far as thought is dependent on words.