Re: Procmail looping problem

2003-12-08 19:15:29
At 17:25 2003-12-08 -0800, Mike Richards wrote:
> Have you checked the message to see whether X-Loop is indeed set on the
> received copy?

The received copy does indeed have the X-Loop header in it.

Well, as the COPY you're going to see will have been tweaked by formail before finding it's way into $DEFAULT, this isn't unexpected - but what about BEFORE formail tweaks it?

> :0c
> | formail -A"X-Loop: something_a_bit_more_unique_to_you" \
>          | $SENDMAIL copy(_at_)domain(_dot_)com

I've tried this exactly to no avail.  The error message I get from procmail
is as below:

That invocation works perfectly fine when invoked from my sandbox (I didn't check it BEFORE sending, but when you reported it didn't work, I did a sanity check).

procmail: Executing "formail -A"X-Loop: copy"\
 |$SENDMAIL copy(_at_)domain(_dot_)com "

one: that's obviously not _exactly_, since you changed the tag text.

procmail: Unlocking "/var/mail/alias.lock"

two: you should show the logfile back to the point where it shows this being LOCKED.

/nonexistent: Can't open /nonexistent: No such file or directory

three: that looks like a bogus SHELL definition.

If you set up a SANDBOX (see my .sig for a starting point), it'd be a LOT easier to diagnose this problem since you'd COMPLETELY ISOLATE YOUR PROCMAIL ISSUES FROM YOUR MTA ISSUES. In a sandbox, you redirect messages from a file, so you know exactly what you're sending in, and in the case of my sandbox setup, $SENDMAIL is redefined to a shell script that saves the message to a file so you can see how the MTA was being invoked.

You could run it in the sandbox, then from the MTA, and compare the VERBOSE output to see where they differ.

Please add these to your rcfile:

LOG="SHELL is $SHELL
SENDMAIL is $SENDMAIL
"

Then send yourself a test message and see what gets logged. I'm going to guess the SHELL is boffed. In which case, perhaps you could try setting it explicitly:

        SHELL=/bin/sh

This would relate to trying to invoke a shell to run the pipelined formail|$SENDMAIL, and failing if your $SHELL is defined oddly.

Please note that your original post did not include any log information, so I've no idea if this seems like a new error to you, or was appearing in some form before.