occasional loop

2004-02-01 22:00:25
Hi,

I'm new to the list -- I hope it's okay to introduce myself with a question.

I'm pretty inexperienced with procmail. I'm using it to filter incoming
email through SpamAssassin on a RedHat computer. 99.9% of the time, it
works fine, but every once in a while I seem to get a loop where a
procmail process and a corresponding sendmail process get started and
don't stop unless I kill them manually. Once this happens, it continues
to happen until there are literally dozens of procmail and sendmail
processes running (and bogging the machine down).

I'm pretty sure that the problem is in my procmailrc; I disabled it for
a while, and the problem didn't occur during that time. The thing is,
the recipe is very simple, and I can't find the problem:

----------
# send mail through SpamAssassin
:0 fw: spamassassin.lock

# if SpamAssassin says it's spam, deliver it to uce
:0 H:
----------

When the problem occurs, the user in question has a persistent ".lock"
file in /var/spool/mail (e.g., "/var/spool/mail/username.lock") -- in
order to get the looping processes killed, I have to manually remove the
lockfile first (otherwise the processes start up again immediately after
I kill them).

When the problem occurs, I see the following lines repeated a couple of
times in my procmail log:

procmail: Forcing lock on "/var/spool/mail/username.lock"
. . .
procmail: Extraneous locallockfile ignored

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Noah