Re: Foreign Spam ?

2004-02-21 13:59:54
At 18:50 2004-02-21 +1100, Marvin R. Pierce wrote:
The following spam header is slipping under the radar and I'm wondering
why it is:
                             From:
±��¶�³���» <rmss(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com>

Note: that doesn't identify a character set - it's wholly non-standard 8-bit encoding. My furrin' recipe used character set identifiers, but the very last of the tests in the furrin.rc script checks for hibit characters. Search for "raw 8-bit" in the module.

Enable verbose logging and see what it has to say. Perhaps you've edited the file and the characters in that condition are no longer 8-bit ?

Another possibility is that what you're posting in this message has been translated (say, by your MUA), and it really did have a character set encoding identified, but it's been stripped (and the translation has _produced_ 8-bit characters, but the original message wasn't 8-bit, it was quoted printable or somesuch). If it is non-standard name (I'm fairly certain I glommed on to all of them for my rcfile), then it won't be recognized and therefore won't be categorized as non-english (at least based on the character set encoding -- the raw 8-bit rule should still flag them).