Re: regex syntax question

2004-03-01 13:37:48
Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 12:37 2004-03-01 -0500, Curtis Maurand wrote:

given the following domain name: erx54843rx.com

If I've understood the docs correctly, I should be able to catch this
with: erx[0-9]{1,5}rx\.com

What docs? Procmail doesn't use the (n,m) count syntax, so you're not picking that one from procmail docs.

Actually he is. procmairc(1) says:
Conditions start with a leading `*', everything after that character is passed on to the internal egrep literally, except for leading and trailing whitespace. These regular expressions are completely compati- ble to the normal egrep(1) extended regular expressions. See also
      Extended regular expressions.

The catch is that not all egreps are created equal. GNU egrep includes the {n,m} range expression. The egreps distributed with many other Unixs (including the egep engine in procmail) do not. Many users, using Procmail in a Linux environment and reading egrep(1), assume Procmail's egrep engine follows the same syntax. I believe there was some discussion about this a couple of months ago and it was suggested that Procmail be updated to include this newer syntax, but it was pointed out that this would break man procmailrcs that use similar strings that have a very different meaning.

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       http://blogs.pure-chaos.com/andrew/
AIM - strongbow1800