Patent issued for email filtering

2004-04-02 18:00:04
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/55/36666.html>
A US patent granted to Postini, the email security company, could grant it legal ownership of a large chunk of the methodology underlying anti-spam and message filtering technology on the market.

Postini's patent describes using a modified DNS address to redirect email to an email pre-processing service which can "detect and detain unwanted messages such as spam, viruses or other junk email messages". It covers various actions that could be performed on an incoming message, based on a user's settings. These include deletion, forwarding, forwarding of partial messages and mailing to several addresses. It also covers broadcasting the message to one or more wireless devices.

I don't know what "Modified DNS address" means exactly, but it sure sounds like they ahave patented procmail...

Course, I haven't read the patent:

<http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser? Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/ srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6,650,890.WKU.&OS=PN/6,650,890&RS=PN/ 6,650,890>

--
We will fight for Bovine Freedom and hold our large heads high
We will run free with the Buffalo or die