Re: Warning: spammer targeting this list

2004-04-08 12:00:51
On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Lars Hecking wrote:

LH>  The interesting and relevant detail: nearly all of these emails are
LH>  targeting non-existent local addresses. Further analysis shows that
LH>  the target addresses are obviously message-id headers harvested from
LH>  postings I made to this list 1997-2002.

I've noticed these in my mail log.  They are rejected because the there is
no matching user on the machine.  I have a wild card for
*(_at_)clifford(_dot_)ac but
not for *(_at_)mundungus(_dot_)clifford(_dot_)ac which is the form used by my
message ids.

On the basis of spammers' behaviour, I am considering putting in a header
of:

and putting an A or MX record in DNS:

shark.purse-seine.net  A 127.0.0.1

Will they spam themselvers - or at least the PC they have taken control of
to spam?

--
Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list.  Please
  address personal email to alan+1@ as lists@ is not read. A
  password autoresponder may be invoked if this email is very old. )