Re: TRAP, exit codes, etc.

2004-04-14 06:44:51
Dallman Ross wrote:

> Speaking of TRAP, exit codes, etc., if I set an exit code of, say, 1
> for a certain condition, would that exit code not bounce mail (under
> anybody's mail system)?  I do not wish to bounce the message in the
> scenario I have in mind, but I do wish to set exit code, either via
> TRAP, or via EXITCODE in procmail, to non-zero in a certain case.
> Have people played with this at all?

I wonder what would happen if the exit code is less than 64.

In any case, the question is incomplete: what are you trying to do with
the non-zero exit code?  Just log it?  Report it back to the shell when
you're invoking procmail interactively?  Can you set it in a clone
procmail so that it goes back only to the parent procmail and not to the
MTA?

> (And what about negative numbers?)

I think exit codes are unsigned eight-bit values.