Re: TRAP, exit codes, etc.

2004-04-14 09:34:20
On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 05:00:28PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:

Okay, I was beginning to conclude that, though I still don't know about
low-numbered exit codes.

However, David Tamkin asked me privately what I also was wondering
after reading the procmail man pages (and procmailex has related stuff
to say too); namely, what happens if in procmail we specify EXITCODE=0,
but in TRAP we set it otherwise?  The man pages don't seem to
discuss that, and I have no idea if it's a valid thing to want to do.

 Valid mail system exit codes are defined in <sysexits.h>. Legal values
 are 0 (EX_OK), and 64-79. Examination of the procmail source code will
 be required to find out what procmail does with EXITCODE values not
 covered by <sysexits.h>.

Okay, understood; but that still doesn't answer the question of
what happens if procmail says the EXITCODE is 0 but TRAP says it's
not zero.  Who wins?  Does the TRAP value get sent to the MTA,
or just to the shell?

--
dman