Re: wit's end: .procmail woes

2004-04-14 12:00:21
At 13:12 2004-04-14 -0400, Gabe Law wrote:
machine 1: (Solaris 9)
This machine is both the initial recipient for all of my email, and the
final recipient.

If you're actually forwarding the mail back to this host, you should insert an X-Loop: header into your messages (actually, a goof idea to do whenever forwarding mail anyway, but especially to yourself).

# This recipe works fine when the forwarding part of machine 2's
# .procmailrc is off, and vice versa.  But when both are uncommented
# mail doesn't appear anywhere

Well, uhm, a VERBOSE logging would help diagnose what's up with that. Sounds loop-like, esp if the preceeding recipes don't actually end up matching.

:0
* ! SUBJ_ ?? ^ BMISPAM

Insertion of erratic spaces is a BAD THING. As I posted it (and as I received my copy of my post from the list), there was no space between the carat and the BMISPAM text. As reposted by you however, this won't end up matching when the SUBJ_ string actually DOES start with BMISPAM, and thus in ALL cases, it'll NOT match (and being inverted, that means the encapsulated code will be processed).

On re-review, technically, one might rather use ^^BMISPAM, which would ensure that the BMISPAM string was at the beginning of the SUBJ_ content, and not merely at the beginning of a line WITHIN the subject.

So, again, even with Sean's vastly cleaner version it still doesn't work.
Removing one forwarding line or another creates a working, albeit
incomplete loop.  Using both in conjunction results in email not appearing
anywhere.

Do you have any access to review the /var/log/maillog and look for transactions associated with your messages?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  (Going back to peer
over logs)

Those VERBOSE entries indicating what is DONE with the messages should be revealing.