Re: filtering attachments does not always work

2004-04-16 11:28:50
At 08:19 2004-04-16 -0700, Avery Day wrote:

[snip - everything from previous which has already been delivered to s*bscribers and is in the archives]

Every once in a while you come accross places that are not very friendly,
and people are rude, arrogant or just plane mean to each other.

And then, there are places where people find it necessary to slip into a flamewar when they don't like it when someone gives them a "RTFM" or "Check the Archives" type of answer.

I have not found a script yet that is being claimed to work no matter what the conditions are.

Well, just so that you know - when you finally do find a recipe that makes that claim, it'll be an overstatement on the part of the author. There are simply too many ways to (mis-)interpret MIME attachments - MS OutBreak for instance has bugs which allows it to parse MIME in the body even when the headers don't contain all the proper MIME tags. AOL, will happily do similar things.

I've personally found the script at:

<http://www.johncon.com/john/QuarantineAttachments/>

to be a good basis for my own quarantine filters, which have been quite effective for me. Although I've modified the script considerably, I retain the URL reference in the comments in my own script.

For future reference, when complaining how some recipe doesn't work, it REALLY helps if you confirm you've run tests with VERBOSE=ON and examined your logfile to see what conditions failed to match. Also, checking the raw message file to see the format of the lines which are expected to match your recipe. Without these, your complaint comes off like you actually believe there are people here who are going to take your recipe and work it into their own test harness and run their own saved messages at it to try to figure out what it wrong with it.

- Sean (card carryin', Teeshirt* wearin' member of the RTFM club)

* I'm not kidding - I have teeshirts with RTFM on 'em in large block letters.