Re: [Announcem.] SoftlabsAV 0.6.8 released

2004-04-20 00:55:35
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, 01:15 GMT+02 Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:

Because of base64 there is 33% overhead.
Add some mimeheaders of at least 60 bytes each.

All in all, I guess that the *body* of the message
must be at least 1.4 KB.

But there must exist smaller virusses.

yes, exactly. That's why I have commented the following into the
coresponding section of the 'antivirus.rc' file:

  #   The smallest virus attachment that has been sent to me so far
  #   (a RAR.exe virus 'Trojan.Downloader.Small.GY') had an attachment's
  #   file size of only 994 B, which corresponds to a possible minimum mail
  #   size of ~ 1.3 KB!

The real size of the mail containing that virus, which has sent to me,
was about 7 KB because there was a lot of HTML garbage inside as well.
But, the infectious (compressed) attachment itself was only 994 B
small - I never have seen a smaller virus in real-life before so far.

rob.