Re: Mixed domains

2004-05-01 14:34:43
On Sat, 1 May 2004, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 10:29 2004-05-01 -0400, fleet(_at_)teachout(_dot_)org wrote:
I received a message with the included (below) header.  It tripped the
recipe I have requiring Message-ID domains to match From domains:

:0 # MSGID-01: "Free-Mail" domains with non-matching message-id
* ^From:.*@(.*\.|)\/(altavista\.com|\
                      msn\.com|\
                      ... list of others)
* $ ! ^Message-Id:.*@(.*\.|)$MATCH
spam

Is the recipe incorrect somehow (it's been working just fine) or is there

Er, you don't include the whole recipe, so how are we to diagnose its
(in)correctness?  Specifically, you don't have the Message-ID condition there.

Sheesh! Guess I got carried away with the edit function. Sorry about that.
I've added the last condition and action line above.

Dropping your recipe into a sandbox with verbose logging and then piping
the message at it to see exactly what conditions it's (mis-)matching would
do wonders for you.

Well, actually, the recipe worked as it was supposed to.  The From domain
@msn.com didn't match the Message-ID: domain @hotmail.com so the message
wound up in the spam folder.

JFTR, hotmail and msn use interchangeable mail servers, so in an ideal
situation, the message you posted headers for shouldn't have failed.

I think this answers the question I was trying to ask.  You're saying that
it's possible (even probable) that the msn.com and hotmail.com domains
could both appear in the same message?  That kind of invalidates my
recipe! :) (At least with respect to those two domains.)

The message itself *appeared* to be legitimate; but in the past year
(almost to the day) I've had that recipe invoked 4238 times and in every
case that I'm aware of (except possibly this last one) the messages were
spam of some sort.

On the other hand, the message indicated a high level of "cluelessness" so
I'm wondering if I'm about to be asked to accept a large check and kick
back the difference. :)

Thanks for the response and especially the info about msn.com and
hotmail.com.

                                - fleet -