Re: host query optimization?

2004-05-13 16:31:16
On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:34:58PM -0700, Professional Software
Engineering wrote:

Is anyone aware of a more streamlined method of resolving a host down
to its base domain components?

Yes.  The method I use in Virus Snaggers 2.  :-)

Before someone and suggests I simply grab the last two dot-separated
tokens from the domain, please bear in mind that non-US domains often
have domain.co.tld type syntax, and that's not consistent amongst all
two-letter tlds.

I take a fair stab at handling that, too.  All in procmail.

However, I claim copyright on uniquely coded algorithms in my modules,
so maybe you should run Virus Snaggers and then use the persistent
$MYDOMAINSTUB variable that will be defined thereafter.  :-)

I agree the concept is useful.  (That's why I did it.)  :)

Dallman (vsnag is at <http://vsnag.spamless.us>)