Re: What is the most efficient way to query an RBL?

2004-05-24 07:00:31
Am 2004-05-24 15:31:27, schrieb Kai Schaetzl:
Michelle Konzack wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 11:21:34 +0200:

Curently I have attached a sbl-xbl/rbl filter AFTER spamassassin and I
get one or two messages per day in its SPAMHAUS-folder.

You do know that procmail + SA doesn't scale very well? Using a milter or
MailScanner to invoke SA is much more efficient if your daily email gets
in the thousands. I also always recommend to use RBLs right at MTA level.

RBLs on MTA level does not work, because I get the messages via
'fetchmail'.

8.000 Messages per day mean, all 11 seconds one mail.
'fetchmail' is started all 10 Minutes and never had problems.

If you use the right ones (and that includes Spamhaus, but using 20 RBLs
is overkill) your false positive level is nearly zero and you block a lot

STOP !

I was running the 20 RBL's against a SPAM-Folder (SPAM's fond
by spamassassin and its bayesian filter) of 34.000 Messages.
Only 2800 are detected as SPAM.

The 20 RBL's are used for a Test...

of spam and most virus mail at the MTA. This means less processing cost
(only the remaining stuff has to be scanned) and less traffic (because you
don't get the DATA portion). We reject about 80% of all incoming mails
with RBLs at MTA level and get almost no viruses sent to us. The false
positive rate is something like 1 in 10.000 or 100.000.

I filter Viruses with 'nkvir-rc'   :-)

But in general, I do not accept any kind of binary attachments which
are very good filtered by procmail and mimefilter.

I have only 3 E-Mails which allow binaries... and this one filter it
from procmail, munpack and f-prot. if they are compressed, the I have
unzip, unrar, lha...

It is a little bit work to do the Bash-scripts, but it works to 100%

Kai

Greetings
Michelle

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi